Saturday, April 23, 2011

PUSH!

I am not good at writing. I tried to write few articles for a school paper before but it was no good. I even joined National Schools Press Conference back in High School. I didn't take home the trophy. I really believe that writing is a gift and I thought I had that gift. But I find it hard to play with words. Maybe because I'm not much of a reader. I can't see the depth of my write-ups. Maybe because I need more inspiration. I can't compose lengthy articles. Maybe because the topic is not of interest to me that I ran out of thought.

I really planned of taking up Journalism or Mass Communication before. After some war with myself, I ended up taking a Business course. I junked the idea of me being a journalist or a writer. I had a different gift I guess. While I'm bombarded with numbers during college, I'm overwhelmed with artistry and designs. Shifting to architecture crossed my mind.

Fast forward. I finished Accountancy in 5 years. Had one year extension. I can't be an accountant. I know that's not my field. I have no time to study Architecture. I can't be a student all my life. After finishing college, I worked with a pharmaceutical company. Too far from my field. But somewhat I'm happy with what I'm doing. I learned that you can be happy once you learn to love and appreciate what you're doing.

Writing and Architecture are lost dreams. My frustrations. I've accepted it. I can still be an architect of my own home. That would be a fulfillment of a long lost dream. And writing? Well, it's a different thing. Not for me I guess, not my gift. Until blogging came to my mind.

I can still be a writer! I've been reading blogs and even bookmarked some. There's Maria Ressa on my top list. The others not that popular but really good writers. I envy them for the 'gift' they have. I am satisfied of being a reader. I enjoyed it. Oftentimes, when I disagree to the opinion of the writer, I just murmur to myself. I hardly comment on posts.I hate to argue.Until I met (virtually on twitter) Micheal (http://yourlooktoday.blogspot.com) who's a blogger and really good one! Reading his web logs, my dream of writing revived. I don't know why. I read six of his entries and I decided to put up one. Instant!

I had hard time creating one. I am a beginner. I don't know how to lay-out. I have little patience. Took me an hour to build a blog site! I want the design simple. I realized it's complicated. Took me another hour to write my first entry. Fresh, Dirty Start. It was sort of a disclaimer. Few more hours, I started my draft on the second entry, "Simply Complicated. Dirty Bit!" It was sharing about life's lesson. After posting it then I crafted my blogspot name.

Random (Dirty) Thoughts. Random because I don't have a theme for the blog. Anything goes. Dirty because I am not clean in thoughts and in words. I am not grammatically-correct at times. This is open for editing. And thoughts because everything else are thoughts put to words.

Yes! I consider myself a writer now. Good or bad, still a writer. It was a decade ago when I set aside this dream of writing. Now I'm slowly realizing it. I can write.I'm claiming that gift back!

You can set aside a dream and pursue it later. Things fade away. Opportunities pass. Dreams can stay. And as long as you want it, you can work to reaching it!


A stranger may inspire you. Listen to what others say. Even if you don't know them. Their opinion are most honest and have no biases.

Writing is a gift. It is a skill. It can also be learned. So you can also acquire the gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment